Saturday, December 15, 2018

On to Jordan......

Petra has been on my list of places to visit for a long time.......
So finally I went..........
My first surprise was that the entry gorge went downhill..... but the Nabateans/Romans had installed a water collection system....... fortunately, as it can be subject to flash floods......I only heard about this as our guide was showing us the water diversion system. He also told us they had also made improvements outside the Siq, as there had been several tourists drowned some years ago in an unexpected flash flood! Not great to hear when you are actually there!!

I was shocked therefore to find out about a flash flood which happened just a few weeks after I had visited! Fortunately we were not there when it happened!


I was a little apprehensive before going as I am claustrophobic and thought having to walk a mile in the narrow Siq might be difficult! However no need to worry! It is not actually that oppressive and is not too narrow.....




 except in one area half way in.......


Reaching the end of the Siq and seeing the Treasury building for the first time is superb!



Unfortunately it has become a photo opportunity spot... people and camels milling around!




Then one walks at least another mile to check out the Roman ruins.......
and the Nabataean  tombs...both Royal and not so Royal!
We got to check out the interior of a tomb.......bodies removed!

There were lots of camels willing to give a ride to tired tourists...at a price!

...and if you were small you could hire a donkey!




1 comment: