Monday, April 7, 2014

While in Dubai……why not go on a Desert Safari...

I thought it would be great to go into the desert and see a sunset……….


 ...have dinner in an encampment and watch belly dancing and…. ride over some sand dunes to get there. I found a company which looked promising Dubai Private tours, sent the info to our friends and they went ahead and booked….. I should have noticed the company's description of the Sand bashing…..they say 'This adventure sport is almost like a skilled controlled roller-coaster ride'.


En route to our evening in the desert, making conversation, I happened to ask the driver how long he had been doing this……. response '2 weeks Ma'm'…….OK…….!! confidence level now not too high!
We arrived at the staging point and I noticed him going over details with other drivers, and looking a little worried….. at least, so I thought.

So we started out…….I could never have imagined what it would be like……miles and miles and nothing but sand hills!  No road, no directional signs, no GPS!!





at times the car was at a 45 degree angle….. but it did have roll bars!!



We had 3 other land cruisers following us and I thought our driver was being macho as he was leading the pack!

At one point I said…'OK, you can turn around now, we don't need to go any further'!  This he perceived as egging him on!

After a stop to enable people to snowboard……we still carried on…..

and did indeed get to where we needed to be to catch the sunset……

where we enjoyed a meal…..
watched a Tanoura Dervish  dance… he twirled around for 6 whole minutes….amazing!


and a Bellydancer…..


On the drive back to the hotel the driver admitted he had been doing this for 13 years……and that it would have been more adventuresome had we been younger!!
Would I do this again: No…..
Am I glad I did it: Yes………

It was an experience……..just not to be repeated! And I would absolutely recommend using this company!

No comments:

Post a Comment