Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Arenal volcano area.

 La Fortuna is where one heads to for amazing views of the Arenal volcano

It is easy to get local transport in Costa Rica... the hotel in La Fortuna arranged a hotel pick up for me from San Jose...... there were just 4 of us in the minibus.

The volcano towers over the town.....this photo from my bedroom in the morning!


This area has many luxury resorts but I chose a simple hotel within the town, the Monte Real. I had been very happy with the chosen hotels in Bolivia on my National Geographic/GAdventures tour and they used this hotel. It had a pool! Albeit small! But it also had a stream running behind the restaurant area where supposedly one could see sloths hanging out! I didn't!

Also I did not want to be restricted to a resort area.

A hike around the area was amazing and varied!

First I took a lava walk up the volcano......

The lava path was not easy!


Next stop was a 500 step hike down to  take a dip in the Arenal waterfall. As we had to sign a liability release before going down the steps I decided a glass of wine in the cafe with a view suited me better!


From here we went to the Mistico Hanging Bridges park......

One takes a long hike up to get to the top hanging bridge......then a slow hike down! We were warned that vipers were known to hang out at one of the bridges! I was using the handrail on the way up and was a little taken aback to almost touch this snake! I grew up in Ireland... we have a snake phobia!!

The view from the top bridge was amazing.....

......looking back up at it from the next one down..........

The bridges themselves shook a lot while traversing them! And there were 6 in total to traverse!





The view from the bottom was magnificent and welcome!






No comments:

Post a Comment