Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Exploring the Barranco area of Lima......

I decided to check out the area I was staying in by walking to the adjacent Barranco area...... a 30 minute walk, having to traverse rather busy roads.....and of course no one was willing to even slow down!
I initially made a mistake, inputting the area on google with an 'a' at the end instead of 'o' and was rather taken aback by the time of 48hrs to walk there!
I actually had in mind visiting 2 museums/art galleries.......one was closed!

The Pedro de Osma museum was being renovated....

....it would be re-opening the week after I left.... and it did look interesting! Owned by  the politically connected Osma family.....

However it was almost next door to my other intended goal........the MATE......
which was superb....


 This has a permanent exhibition of fashion photographer Mario Testino's photos...


His photos of Princess Di for Vanity Fair just 3 months before she died were superb!  And I am not a Royal Family fan!!


..and then there were his photos of people in local Peruvian costume.....




His non permanent exhibition was also very interesting......

The core of the Barranco area was just OK...... the bridge of sighs...one of the touted highlights would have left me sighing..... had I gone on a tour to see it!
 ..but the street art was interesting.....




Apparently this particular area in Lima is now the most expensive area to buy into! So it will no doubt be very gentrified soon!

As I didn't feel like walking back and trying to cross freeway off ramps I decided to take a local bus........for the sum of 30 cents!  Interesting!


No comments:

Post a Comment